Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

Pin It
Can ya see the steam?
While doing a quick search for crock pot beef stroganoff recipes, I found about 85% of them called for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.  What did people do before condensed soup?  So I put together his simple version without any dairy or gluten and it turned out great!  The crockpot does wonderful things to meat.  For this recipe, I bought stew meat that was already cut into large cubes. I then cut each cube into about 3 smaller cubes. I think that makes the meat go farther and helps it tenderize as it cooks.  So don't be afraid to use a cheaper cut in this recipe (I did!).  Thanks to the crockpot, you'll still end up with nice tender cubes of beef.  My daughter commented that the beef was "so easy to chew" - that's a great compliment coming from a kid. 

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

1 – 1 ½ lbs top round or stew beef, cut into small cubes
1 onion, diced

8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 (or more) garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup red cooking wine
1 cup beef broth*
½ cup dairy-free milk (I use almond milk)
¼ cup sorghum flour
Salt and pepper to taste


Into crock pot, place beef cubes, diced onion, sliced mushrooms and minced garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Pour in red cooking wine.  In a seperate bowl or 2-cup size measuring cup, whisk together beef broth, non-dairy milk and sorghum flour (this will thicken into a sauce as it cooks).  Pour into crock pot.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.  Serve over rice or gluten-free noodles such as Schar.


*My favorite broth is made using Celifibr Bouillon Cubes which contain no dairy, gluten or MSG.

This recipe is being shared at Motivation Monday

Beef Stroganoff 

8 comments:

  1. This looks delish! I have been wanting to try a dairy free stroganoff. I'd love for you to share this at allergy free Wednesdays http://www.realfoodallergyfree.com/category/allergy-free-wednesdays/ Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion! How have I missed out on reading your awesome blog? Im so glad to have discovered it! I'll be sure to join in on Allergy Free Wednesday! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous stroganoff recipe! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may try this on Friday instead of the Beef Roast in the Crockpot on my menu. This looks super easy!

    I'd love for you to share your recipe at Motivation Monday. We heart healthy recipes! (http://alifeinbalance.net)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I just visited and linked up at Motivation Monday. Fun blog!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipe, I will try it. I have a milk allergy and I can't drink soy milk that often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe looks good, but I am wondering why you crossed out the non-dairy milk? Does that mean it did not work out for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I found that I get a creamier sauce without the addition of the non-dairy milk. Using just the broth and wine gives it a nice flavor. The milk just made it too liquid-y. Plus, I always like a recipe with fewer ingredients!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.