Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sonora Enchiladas {Gluten, Dairy and Egg-Free}

Pin It
When we first received my daughter's food allergy test results, I was at a real loss as to what to feed her.  My good friend and excellent cook, Michelle G, kindly went through her cookbooks and recipe cards and wrote down any dinner recipes that might work for us.  This is one recipe she gave us (thank you, Michelle!).  After some slight modifications, it has become something my kids all really like.  Plus it makes enough for two meals for my family of 5, so I can count on leftovers for later in the week.  I haven't tried making this for the freezer yet, but my guess is it would make a great freezer meal.  It calls for non-dairy cheese, but I think it would still be good if you prefer to leave that out.

Sonora Enchiladas

1 lb ground beef
1 (15 oz) can black beans
8oz corn
1 large chopped onion
1 dozen corn tortillas (I use Mission white corn 6 inch tortillas. Package states "gluten free")
2 cans mild enchilada sauce
8 oz Daiya vegan cheese shreds
1 can black olives, sliced
garlic powder and cumin

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain.  Add 1 TBSP cornstarch and mix well.  Add enchilada sauce, onion, black beans, corn, garlic to taste, cumin to taste.  Let mixture cook till heated through.  Meanwhile, place 6 corn tortillas in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.  Top with meat mixture and sprinkle with non-dairy cheese shreds.  Place 6 more tortillas on top of that and cover with remaining meat mixture and non-dairy cheese.  Sprinkle sliced olives over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.